GEAR UP is about the masses, not the lucky few.
GEAR UP is designed to help students succeed in school, graduate from high school, and be prepared to successfully attend college.
All current 7th and 8th grade students at Chavez Middle School and Jefferson Middle School are part of the GEAR UP Program. If your child is a current 7th or 8th grade student at CMS or JMS, he or she is automatically enrolled in GEAR UP program at no cost, and will benefit from all that the GEAR UP Grant has to offer.
GEAR UP is a seven year grant awarded to MiraCosta College to work with Oceanside Unified School District to serve the students in the classes of 2017 and 2018 at Chavez Middle School and Jefferson Middle School. The GEAR UP Grant will follow these students to El Camino High School and Oceanside High School and will continue to serve all students in these two high schools who are part of the class of 2017 and 2018.
GEAR UP Goals:
1. Increase academic performance and preparation for post secondary education.
2. Increase high school graduation rates and participation in postsecondary education.
3. Increase GEAR UP students’ and families’ knowledge of post secondary education options, preparation and financing.
GEAR UP for Your Future!
- Middle School Safari Park trip on 8/21. More info here for Chavez and here for Jefferson.
- Mira Costa Summer Math Academy, 8/6 - 8/10. More info here for Chavez and here for Jefferson.
- STEM Academy (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) 7/30 - 8/3. More info here for Chavez and here for Jefferson.
- Palomar, MiraCosta to get millions to prepare kids for college
- MiraCosta overrun by scores of middle school-age students
- Cesar Chavez Middle School GEAR UP home page
- Jefferson Middle School GEAR UP home page
- Get ready for National GEAR UP week 9/10 - 9/14!